The first NABO Guidance Paper was in effect Safe Navigation on Rivers, which was sent to members as hard copy.
Eleven more are now available as downloads. Those marked with a * are available in the Reference Section for general circulation. The remainder are for NABO members only.
Click on a link to open any of the publications in a new window.
(Some files can take a significant time to download on slow connections)
- *Cruising Guidance for BW Rivers - A guide as to what you get for a rivers licence.
- right_of_nav.pdf - Which waterways have a statutory right of navigation. (82KB)
- trailing.pdf - An introduction to trailboating. (68KB)
- *boat_purchase.pdf - Advice on buying a boat. (27KB)
- vhf.pdf - a short treatise on the use of Marine Band VHF. (108KB)
- shipreg.pdf - on ship registration. (30KB)
- crime.pdf - on dealing with crime and vandalism. (24KB)
- *acts.pdf - a very sketchy guide to help you find the Acts of Parliament that deal with waterway matters. (revised May 04) (107KB)
- *bbb.pdf- Boats Behaving Badly, some food for thought on boat behaviour. (66KB)
- GandS_Notes.pdf - Gloucester & Sharpness Canal cruising notes. (121KB)
- Severn_notes.pdf - Severn Estuary pilotage notes. (183KB)
- Dee_Notes.pdf, Cruising Notes for the River Dee. (144K)
- *Aire & Calder Skipper's Guide pdf. (328K)
- *Trent Skipper's Guide pdf (340K)
NOTE - these papers have been prepared in good faith and are as accurate as we can make them. NABO or their authors cannot not accept any liability for any loss or damage resulting from the information they contain. We would value any feedback, via the Contact Us pages, particularly if errors come to light.
(Note that to open pdf documents you will need Adobe Reader or similar loaded on your computer to read it.)